Posts

Showing posts from January, 2014

Refurbishing the Galley, Part 3 - putting it all back together

Image
So, now that I took it all apart and "purtied it up a bit " it was time to try to put it all back together.  The first thing to do was to re-install the Fiddle rails.  To start this process, I first used a 3/8 inch Forstner bit (a drill bit that drills flat-bottomed holes) to clean up the holes for the screws and plugs and get the last remnants of the old plug out.




  Then I need a new plug to cover up the screw head.  This is just a short dowel, 3/8 inch in diameter, made out of Teak (of course!).  you can buy them on-line, but since I had the means, I decided to make them myself.  I bought a short length of teak at McClendon's (a local hardware store... love that place!) as well as a plug cutter.  Both things together were less than 8 dollars, and I will be able to make a MESS of plugs! (as they say in the south).  I just put the plug cutter in my Shopsmith Mark V, in drill press mode, and VOILA! Teak plugs!

























It is now just a matter of tapping in the plug into the…