New Steerage and Navage!
At my front door, waiting to greet me when I got home from my trip was my new Tiller. I had to get it made at Rudder-Craft while I was gone... the whole process takes 2 weeks... what a coincidence, that was how long I was gone! It is beautiful! I had it done with an epoxy finish, then a varnish... basically the best package they had. and I also bought a tiller cover for it! That should take care of all of those exposure problems that caused the old one to fail. The first thing I noticed though is that I was going to have to modify this beautifully finished product, so that it would fit in the hardware. the aft end would have to be cut to about a 60 degree angle, and when i tried to put the hardware on, I found the tiller base was about 1/4 inch too wide.... DANG! In trying to figure out what tool to use to make the 60 degree cut, it occured to me that this might be the purfect job for my 12" sanding disc.... So I set up my Shop-Smith Mark V for the sanding disk